View Single Post
Old 01-28-2004, 11:17 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Guns

My grandmother and her sister lived together on a farm. They were very old and had no running water or electricity because they had never had it. Their mentality was rooted firmly in the 19th century in that they did not trust a lot of machines. They also did not trust others strangers preparing their food because they did not believe they were as clean as they should be. They lived on a dirt road that maybe got a car going up it every two hours but they lived in terror of me being run over on the "pike". But men hunted for food and I was eight years old so I could take the old 20 guage and hunt rabbits or squirrels for supper. The taught me the rules of gun safety and turned me loose, that is after they had watched with apprehension until I got across the "pike". I also had to butcher them up after killing them, only killing enough for a "mess". Guns were nothing but a tool to me. Vietnam changed all that and I don't touch them now.