View Single Post
Old 02-01-2009, 10:55 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

The HMS Victory that is at the Portsmouth dry dock is per the attached link. It is a lot less ornate than the sunken HMS Victory and a fantastic tour, very well done and the tour guides really know their stuff. What amazes is how short the people were in those times and the low overhead on the gun decks. Bad ju ju to wear my glasses because the brow piece masked the transverse beams; melon conk n’ re conk, eh. For those that enjoy Naval history, the HMS Victory is a UK must see. As it turns out the Captain of the Victory at Trafalgar; Tomas Hardy, stood over six ft. tall and a rarity at the time, so I imagine he had a heck of a time getting around below the main deck.

The HMS Victory that is at the Portsmouth dry dock is per the attached link. It is a lot less ornate than the sunken HMS Victory and a fantastic tour, very well done and the tour guides really know their stuff. What amazes is how short the people were in those times and the low overhead on the gun decks. Bad ju ju to wear my glasses because the brow piece masked the transverse beams; melon conk n’ re conk, eh. For those that enjoy Naval history, the HMS Victory is a UK must see.

Scamp

http://www.historicdockyard.co.uk/hmsvictory/