View Single Post
Old 04-19-2006, 04:59 AM

I live in New Zealand. There are no returned servicemen's hospitals here. The few who served in Vietnam are having an ongoing battle with the government trying to get compensation for the effects of agent orange.

We read about troops being killed in Afghanistan and Iraq, but there is not much information given about those who have been wounded in those wars or previous wars.

My "fighting" uniform, as an infantryman, was mainly a tin helmet. We had 303 rifles, bren guns and mortars. We envied the American automatic rifle and their helmets. Their catering was better than ours, but apart from those differences, we didn't have the same protective gear modern soldiers have to wear.

Modern equipment troopshave doesn't reveal much of the person wearing it. Civilians tend to forget how young most of the troops are. They also tend to think that a wounded soldier has been hit by a bullet. They don't realise the affects close quarter combat can have on any normal person, which can be worse than a bullet wound and take longer to cure.

I didn't mean to write so much, but I accidentally came across a site which gives details of American Veteran's Administration areas. I thought it may be of interest to you.

http://www.realcities.com/mld/krwash...ages/veterans/