Thread: Ft Polk, La
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2002, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator

Distinctions
VOM Staff Contributor 

The place is Fort Puke, Lousyanna as I remember it. Where I took AIT in early '66 but was in Admin. not Tigerland except for once. As I remember it it was set up as a mock VN vil but not a place I woulda wanted to stay. Thinking about Tigerland just a short period later while in VN it really was pretty close to being accurate. What I do remember about Ft. Puke was the bus trips to Leesville, Shreveport and down to Nawleens for Fat Tuesday and the weekend before it. Canal Street and Bourbon Street. Went down there with a troop, Private Delacerta, who had a brother that owned a liqour store just two blocks off Bourbon Street and my best friend at the time and the GodFather of my first Daughter, Private Wilhelm. Don't remember much about that weekend because of heavy drinken and all at no cost because of big brother. One thing that I do remember is how well Nawleens knows how to party. Had to sneak back on post two hours AWOL from a three day pass but wasn't caught and it was well worth it if we were. Delacerta hopped off the bus in BatonRouge and bough a car cash off the lot and drove it back to post. The drinken helped me forget Fort Puke but there are some characters you never forget.