View Single Post
Old 10-20-2009, 11:09 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Friends,...

On M1-Garand with open peep sight don't remember how many shots were fired when zeroing it for the 300 yard Battle Sights needed. Shots used were pretty-much determined by each individual recruit & what his DI thought needed. Some recruits shot little. Some had to shoot a lot.

All I actually remember was that all sight adjustments (up, down & sideways) were determined from 3 shot groupings. Had to remember (just like a serial number) 18 clicks elevation & 2 clicks right as my 300 yard Battle Sight,...until traded in my rifle for a carbine.

Can't tell you much about zeroing a scope since never had to actually zero one.
Years ago decided to have a 1 & 1/2 x 4 Variable Weaver Scope mounted on what initially thought to be a brush-bustin blunderbus of a deer rifle. I WAS WRONG.

Took that 35 Remington Marlin 336 lever action carbine with new bore sighted scope to some small range nearby, which only had 3 target distances. 25, 50 & 125 yards.

Started off by firing 3 rounds at 50 yards. Could no longer see that little X on the bull.

After that, moved my target to 125 yards position & asked Range Officer how many clicks elevation he thought I should move my new sight up? He said: "leave-it-alone since you haven't even reached the top of The Arc yet.

He was absolutely correct since I was dead center (not as tight of course) at 125 yards.

Regardless,...that 35 Remington is one loud sucker & kicks like a mule. Never got around to it. But would suggest anyone buying such get themselves a recoil pad.

Neil