View Single Post
Old 01-16-2004, 05:22 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Travis...

I'll try to clear things up for you.

My first unit served with through Basic Training to Germany was 10th Recon. Co. and/or 10th Reconnaisance Company of The 10th Division, which from 1955 through 1958 wasn't called: 10th Mountain Division, even though the very same and called such in WWII, Vietnam and Afghanistan.

10th Recon Co was basically a small and self-contained (Scout Sections/Tank Sections/Mortar Sections/Rifle Sections/Maintenance Section/Cooks) and fast moving Armored Cavalry unit of about 195 personnel. Was referred to as: "The Eyes and Ears of The 10th Division.

Regardless, we were disbanded or deactivated in about 1956 so that The Division might have a new and larger reconnaisance unit. Such was called The 3rd Recon. Sqdn./7th Cavalry,...now likely called: "The First into Baghdad" (at The Airport). Going from a company size unit to a battalion size, we had to get volunteers throughout The 10th Division and train them.

Some weren't ACTUALLY volunteers. One of the drivers in MY Scout Section drivers volunteered for The 7th Cav rather than do Stockade Time. It was my understanding that there were more than a few such type VOLUNTEERS.

Regarding Vietnam,...No, I fortunately was never there, since taking my Discharge in 1958.

Though, and after seeing my alma mater's damn-near "Last Stand" at: "LZ-Xray" in the movie; "We Were Soldiers",...in retrospect I must say I'M VERY FORTUNATE to not have been in Vietnam. Even though my old outfit was differently called: HHT 1/7 CAV SQDN and/or "First of The Seventh" or "Desparados"(as misspelled on their patch),...dat wasn't duh place to be my friend.

Hey, the odds of Making It while perpetually being in the lead element of the division that suffered the most casualties in Vietnam (re. 1st AIR CAV Div.),...just don't seem to great. Not sure,...but believe that "They" were also the last Combat Unit to leave Vietnam.

GarryOwen to yuh,
Neil
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote