View Single Post
Old 01-27-2009, 08:04 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39mto39g View Post
james
The times you were an RTO I would bet you knew exactly wear you were. I was an RTO the whole year excepy for 2-3 weeks. I had to know wear we were, I had to know all the frequncies and what arty was wear and mortars and what units were near.

Ron

I might have known where I was on the map page but what was going on beyond the end of the map page, or where that map page was in relation to everything else, was usually beyond my ken. Youre right in saying that RTOs knew more than most (one of the reasons I took the job) but thats sure not saying a whole lot, especially in the 101st.
I only called in ARTY once in the 101st, never air support, and that was when the squad leader I was with was doing such a f~c%ed up job of it, almostr put it right on top of us. I mostly just grunted the radio in the 101st and let the smart people do that.. I called in lots of air and arty in the lrrps, tho, don't mind saying I was fairly good at it. They taught us how in Recondo school, but not the 101. The 101st was well known for wasting talent, and other things like looted maibags.
James.

Last edited by Stick; 01-27-2009 at 08:40 AM. Reason: semantics
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote