View Single Post
Old 02-27-2004, 07:20 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default DON'T MEAN NOTHIN'

But of course, it did. This was a phrase used to shrug off things that DID mean somethin', or to at least minimize them, or to defuse them. To bring things into perspective. A buffer. It was a universal phrase used in every unit, mostly by grunts. I don't know how or when it started, but it was in use in the 101st when I got there in JUN66.

I saw him go down about 20yds. from me. I heard that dull splat sound as the round hit him and I just knew he was dead, laying there in the elephant grass. A couple of gunships had shown up, lighting up Charlie, but we were still taking some small arms fire. The tracers from the gunship had set the grass on fire and it was spreading to where he was laying. All I remember thinking was that I didn't want his mother to see him all burned up, so I went after him. I ran in a crouch through the grass and found him. He had been shot once through the heart and he looked peaceful as hell. I grabbed him by the shirt collar and started running like hell, dragging him clear of the fire. DON'T MEAN NOTHIN'.

Last edited by 82Rigger; 07-14-2008 at 01:01 AM.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links