View Single Post
Old 04-28-2010, 10:29 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

The current musings of Fonda would be interesting if not so totally stuck on stupid externalizations. She's feeling very much singled out and picked on. She says that a lot of people from the US; around 300, went to Hanoi to offer aid and comfort but she alone got to be the historic tar baby and object of ire. Her age at the time, 33 as I recall, should have meant that she had acquired enough education and wisdom to not go do a full force belly flop in a pre-arranged propaganda punji pit, but she did anyway. An argument could be made that she was set- up by her communist husband at the time, or that she became the embodiment of Lenin's concept of a useful idiot, or both.

But matters not, she as Hollywood's primo cocktail party communist embraced the role and took it to the near limits. All the way would have meant manning a real hot, painting and firing AAA battery and most likely resting in many, many, pieces thereafter, and then elevated to the status of "Hero of the Soviet Union."

To my knowledge, she has never returned to Vietnam, let alone gone to Cambodia, nor did she go to Afghanistan to shore-up the Red Army during its long flail with the Mujahedeen. Nets out as, " in for a penny but NOT a pound", all talk and no walk, as it were. Certainly not the stuff of a selfless, misty-eyed, communist of propaganda poster fame that is set about gazing into the future with supposed grit and determination. Just the usual Hollywood pretend time, I reckon, not real at all and every bit as comic- phony as the communist propaganda posters.