View Single Post
Old 06-26-2010, 01:41 PM

Distinctions
Staff 

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverr1 View Post
I have a Huge oil Painting 8' x 4' or so of a soldier, which I bought years ago at a auction. Problem is that no one seemed to know anything about the Country or time date of the uniform. Best guess is WW1 Italian, but not sure.

As a new poster on this forum I am blocked from putting the URL of "Tiny Pics" where I have the pictures stored. If you can help with an ID please let me know.

Thanks in advance,

Steve
First of all, thanks to everyone else who attempted to assist. David got a hold of me as well, but being away from my library, I have had to rely on the Internet alone. That said, you have a very fine painting. Based on the painting and a few websites, my conclusion is that (like a few others concluded) an Italian World War I uniform. The collar insignia corresponds to the soldier being in a particular Infantry Division. Assuming the color is correct and the insignia remained unchanged between the World Wars, the soldier was either a member of the Cagliari or Cosseria division. The ribbons are a bit trickier given the possible difference in color. I would say that the solid blue one is the Cross of Military Valor, while I can't identify the other one, but it is white and red. The grade insignia appears to be one of the corporal grades. I hope this helps and apologize for not getting to this until now.

Daniel

President Ronald Reagan (1911-2004)

Civil War History
Military History Blog
Frontier Battles
5th Minnesota Infantry, Company D

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote