View Single Post
Old 04-17-2006, 07:14 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default "Privatizing" VA Health Care? = Equals LESS care!

The VA has long had partnerships with teaching hospitals, like the University of Missouri and many other institutions of higher learning.

These relationships have always been viewed as positive by both parties.

But, as healthcare costs rise, as doctors and universities want more for their services, we see the problems associated with outsourcing or 'privatizing' VA healthcare.

Veterans end up waiting or not receiving necessary healthcare at all.

It's time for the VA to return to full staffing levels and end outsourcing that has increased these past few years.

Veterans should not have to rely on private care doctors for their care.

When the VA gives up control of healthcare services and hands it over to private doctors and institutions... it's OBVIOUS that veterans will lose in the long term!

You can find the article here.......

http://www.columbiatribune.com/2006/...415News004.asp

Story below:

-------START--------

MU defers vets? care in dispute

Hospital at odds with VA over orthopedics.

By LIZ HEITZMAN of the Tribune?s staff
Published Saturday, April 15, 2006

Two days before Army veteran Robert Ashbaugh was scheduled to have an orthopedic surgeon examine his bum knee at Truman Memorial Veterans? Hospital, he got an ominous letter.

The letter from the Department of Veterans Affairs said that his appointment at the hospital?s orthopedic clinic was canceled and that he should call a number for more information. Ashbaugh said he made the call and was told the clinic staffed by physicians from University of Missouri Health Care was closed until further notice.

"I haven?t been able to get any clear answers," said Ashbaugh, 53, who recently suffered a torn knee ligament and was told it could be surgically repaired. "I just happened to be in a situation where I needed this treatment, and apparently I picked the wrong time."

Representatives of the VA and MU Health confirmed yesterday that services for new VA orthopedic patients have been stalled since at least April 7. MU is continuing to provide orthopedic care to existing patients.

The two entities have been unable to come to terms regarding the rates the VA pays MU for orthopedic services.

MU is asking for increased compensation, although MU Health spokeswoman Mary Jenkins declined to elaborate on the amount of the requested increase. She described the discussions as routine.

"We have a long history with the VA, and periodically we have had discussions with them related to reimbursement rates," she said.

Jenkins said MU Health decided to ask for more money after reviewing orthopedic services provided to the VA and determined that a higher rate "would be fair and reasonable." (Yeah, right!.............Gimp )

Stephen Gaither, spokesman for the VA hospital, said negotiations have been going on for the past year.

Jenkins said the department?s chairman, Jason Calhoun, and School of Medicine Dean Bill Crist were unavailable for comment yesterday.

Gaither said that between 90 and 100 veterans have been sent for treatment to other medical facilities because of the ongoing negotiations.

"They made arguments that various things needed to be increased, and that?s been the sticking point in the discussions," Gaither said. "We remain optimistic we?ll come to an agreement and they?ll provide those services for our patients."

Orthopedics includes services such as knee repair and hip replacement.

Because the local clinic was closed, Ashbaugh said he was sent to an orthopedic surgeon in Jefferson City. He said he arrived at the time of his appointment but waited 2? hours to see a doctor.

Ashbaugh, who served in the Army during the 1970s, said he was told he could have the surgery done in Moberly but declined. He?s worried about any doctor who would keep a patient waiting so long, and he?s also concerned what would happen if he needed follow-up treatment.

"Based on my experience, if you need follow-up, it makes more sense to have it here" in Columbia, said Ashbaugh, who is unemployed.

Both Gaither and Jenkins said they expect to resolve the funding standoff soon.

Ashbaugh, who wears a knee brace and uses crutches to walk, said he doesn?t care how the situation is resolved. He just hopes it is resolved soon.

"This is a political situation," he said. "I?m just trying to get some help, and I don?t have anything to do with that."

That the interruption boils down to money angers him.

"It shouldn?t just be about making money," Ashbaugh said. "It should be about providing a service. This is an opportunity to give back to those who have served their country."

For now, Jenkins said veterans in need of orthopedic services will have to go elsewhere.

"We have stopped scheduling new surgeries", she said.

------END------

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links