View Single Post
Old 03-17-2009, 06:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gunner Carvo Send a message via MSN to Gunner Carvo Send a message via Yahoo to Gunner Carvo
Distinctions
Contributor 

The town I grew up in never seemed that patriotic to me until 9-11, and it's dwindled since amongst the people of my generation. That's truly sad. There is a Training Center just north of town which most of the population just seem to ignore. It's away from the freeway enough that a lot of people don't even know where it is. When the Soldiers get done with their exercises, they sometimes wander into my fiance's work since it's by the freeway. She's been known to strike up a conversation with the customers she's dealing with and occasionally a Soldier or two will sit at her table. They don't always catch on to the sincerity in her voice when she says, "Thank you for your service." I decided to help with that.

When I found the Welcome Home coins on the VFW website, I ordered 20 and addressed the shipment to my fiance's house. She has told me about 3 or 4 specifically, and there have been others, usually on their way to "the sandbox" or just came back. I told her to put the coins in her purse and carry one or two in her pocket to give to the Soldiers she meets. It's not very often you hear, "Thank you," in that town. I told her that when they get that confused look, the same one I've had on my face a couple times in that town, she can give them a coin and say, "No, really. Thank you." I told her that when she runs out, I'll buy more. Her reply was, "But, you bought 20 of them," with a bewildered tone. I just said, "I know. When you run out, I'll buy more." After a few seconds of silence, I heard a choked-up woman say, "You're awesome."

I've been on both sides of the fence when it comes to people's reactions to us (not as drastically as some on here). I just want them to see more of the greener side.

"Without me, the war will go on. With me, it could end." - me

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty." - JFK

"Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto."
(I bring not the rays of the sun but the thunderbolts of Jupiter)

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote