View Single Post
Old 03-17-2009, 01:13 PM

Default DJ

How true and yet how sad. How true we forget those who've served so long ago. Today they just blend into the everyday passing of people in the street. They don't move so fast and their hair is graying to white. They shuffle their feet and keep their heads low to watch where they are walking so as not to trip and suffer a major breakage to their fragile bones.

I see this every day and I know I'm becoming more like them each year. I met a wonderful guy in the Doctors office with my wife. He's in his late 80's and was in WWII. Noticed my Navy hat and asked when I was in. We did small talk and talked about how our wives were doing with the current treatments they were getting.

I was taken by how quick witted he was and how sharp his memory was to fly back into his military past and pull out names and places and things he saw and did. To recall the lost brother's he misses being killed in the war. To today's kids who are now on the line and doing what we did when it was our time.

I had a VFW medal in my pocket and gave it to him saying Thank You. I said this medal may be a little late but I want you to have it for service's given. You are never to old to see how the older Vet's responds to a welcome home even after all these many years. I admire the WWII boys and gals - and have met many. I know some Korean Vets and of course our VN guys and gals and now our kids now coming home from Iraq and Afganistan conflicts.

I carry these VFW medals in my pocket and every now and then I meet or come across one and we exchange a few words and we are pals for life. A very little token such as this goes a long way.

I respect all those who've served this country and those who still have to go. It's something everyone should do - its the most honorable thing you wll ever do as long as you live.

If you have any pride at all - Serving your Country - leads the majority. It's a new way of life - its an adventure of a life time - it's like being born again into something you never expected. It's produces life long friendships and memories - both good or bad - for life.

DJ - thanks for sharing it made my day to know others can offer just a small moment of their time to welcome home an old Vet - it goes a long way and tells me much about you.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"

Last edited by Boats; 03-19-2009 at 09:20 AM.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote