View Single Post
Old 11-21-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whale View Post
Upon reading again, it appears that some officer played hard a$$ and overstepped Army policy. The girl should have been referred to an agency such as ACS for counselling. The army isn't going to miss a cook for a month or two.

My opinion of "single mothers" stands. My daughter is one.
Whale,

Not that you didn't miss something...what you missed was the wrong thing. Soldiers with children (single or married to another servicemember) are required to have a workable family care plan. This spells out who gets "custody" of the child when the Soldier must deploy (whether for a week for a training exercise or a year for a roatation to theater).

This is a regulatory requirement that, if the plan is not completed or is unworkable, the Soldier is REQUIRED to be processed for seperation. All too often, the family care plan is a bunch of check the block Bull Sh__ that gets thrown together to keep the Soldier in the Army. That is...until deployment time comes and the unit commander relies on the plan to be workable.

The CO absolutely overstepped his bounds with the foster care thing...if that is what he said. Because I just can't believe a commander can be so unblievably stupid as to say something like that...there may be more to the story (bad reporting). Since a family care plan is, in essence, handing your child off to someone else to take care of...I can see a reporter using "foster care" as a way to explain the family care plan.

If the plan doesn't work...put her out. The Army is not a welfare system.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote