View Single Post
Old 03-24-2011, 11:10 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

One thing is that we have a distorted view of our military due to those WWII films where US soldiers and sailors are ALL portrayed as heroic, brave, steadfast, and the epitome of what we all know are true American values. The truth is we never were. I've spoken with the WWII vets in my family, and with a couple of Wehrmacht vets who told me about atrocities committed by all sides in that conflict (especially, it seems, by the Japs). I've also heard plenty of such stories from Vietnam and Korea vets. The general public has to understand that the stresses of war have and will cause humans to do things that would repulse them in normal conditions. Also, we know that any given military was and is a refuge for some of societies worst personalities. Combine that with weapons and power, and you have what those men are being accused of in Afghanistan. I'm not saying what they did was justified or right but they're being in a war zone should be taken into consideration.

You probably think that, since I was never in combat, I'm talking out of my ass but I'm just going by the information I've accumulated over the years. I don't think blame should be placed on Bush or Obama for this. I don't believe either one gave orders to sanction such action. Things will get out of control and this is, shamefully, one of those times.