View Single Post
Old 08-23-2004, 07:53 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

I met him at Ft. Campbell in 1966. He was a Major and FOD of the guard when I was on guard duty. By 1968 he was a Brigadier General out of Loch Ninh with the 1th ACR which was attached to the 1st Cav. They overran an NVA base camp somewhere between Loch Ninh and Cambodia. Unbeknownst to them they also overran a NVA Surgical Hospital. When cleaning up they found out what they had done. The NVA had ORs, X-ray and a large pharmacy. They sent the drugs to Charlie Company to be inventoried. Some of the drugs were from East Germany but the majority were from France. They even had a drug we coudn't get: coramine. It was related to aramine, a major drug in the treatment of shock. Coramine was better because it didn't involve broncoconstriction so much when treating shock. Of course it was from France. Another thing we saw was a brick, a kilo of opium. They used it for pain relief. It disappeared and we never found it again. We suspected the NCOs. After that hospital was overrun we were the closest US medical facility to there. They targeted us for months with rockets and mortars. One guy killed and several, including me, wounded. By the way, did I tell you I recently went to Nova Scotia? There was this Ft Anne there that was built by the French. On the ramparts was the flag of the French navy. It was a white flag, I kid you not. How convenient.