View Single Post
Old 12-31-2003, 06:09 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Must have missed this before. My 3c worth. I would like to see a breakdown of all the jobs in the USA right now ( will search Google later )..I am sure total government employment at all levels ( including ALL contractors at all levels of govt. service ) and "service" ( not real sure what all this includes ) type jobs are a very large percentage. What is left is the "manufacturing" base. Are there other large categories of job types ? I am really confused because the manufacturing jobs have been going overseas since the late 50s ( over 40 years ) when "Made In Japan" ceased to be a synonym for cheap junk. ( remember that ? ) One thing we have in large supply, due to the fact we have accepted refugees and immigrants from all over the world for over 300 years, is innovation, new ideas, and ingenuity..i.e.... a better and more efficient way to do things. It is our ace in the hole.

As far as protestors go....you really need to divide the Vietnam War into eras. ( 1959 - 1967 1968 - 1972 1972 - 1975 ) .

There are a lot of folks in their 50s and 60s who did everything they could do to avoid military service in the 1960s and 1970s, ..and are now in positions of influence and power in education, the clergy, universities, politics, government etc., and who have little regard for the sacrifices many of us were forced to make because of Vietnam.

The politicians were the cause of the Vietnamese debacle. The Big News Media aided and abetted. This is a free society. Thank God for that. Whenever freedom of speech and freedom to protest the government's actions ( without breaking the law of course ) is abridged, we all lose.

Larry