View Single Post
Old 05-29-2010, 06:17 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Lightbulb Blumenthal bows out of Memorial Day event with McMahon

Blumenthal bows out of Memorial Day event with McMahon

Neil Vigdor And Brian Lockhart, Staff Writers

Published: 10:15 p.m., Wednesday, May 26, 2010

• Connecticut state Attorney General Richard Blumenthal gives his acceptance speech at the Democratic State Convention in Hartford, Conn., Friday, May 21, 2010, after he received the nomination to run for the U.S. Senate. (AP Photo/Bob Child) Photo: AP, Bob Child / FR170410 AP
  • Greenwich First Selectman Peter Tesei. Photo: File Photo / Greenwich Time File Photo
  • U.S. Senate candidate Linda McMahon stands in the center of the media as she waits to hear the results of the nomination proccess at the GOP convention in downtown Hartford, Conn. on Friday May 21, 2010. Photo: ST, Christian Abraham / Connecticut Post | Buy This Photo

Richard Blumenthal is seeking another deferment.

Invited by the Greenwich American Legion Post 29 to be a guest speaker at its dockside service in his hometown on Memorial Day, Blumenthal abruptly cancelled his appearance Wednesday at that event and other military tributes.

The Democratic Senate nominee now avoids the media frenzy and potential distraction that his presence could have created. The Greenwich ceremony would have brought him face-to-face with Linda McMahon for the first time since the firestorm over Blumenthal's statements that he served in Vietnam when he did not.

"He's just committed to keeping the focus on veterans," said Maura Downes, a spokeswoman for Blumenthal. "He thinks Memorial Day weekend is a solemn occasion and the focus should be squarely and solely on honoring our service men and women who have given the ultimate sacrifice to protect their freedoms." Blumenthal will be spending the weekend privately with his family, according to Downes, who left the door open that Blumenthal may visit some veterans memorials, albeit in a low-key manner.

A spokesman for McMahon, a fellow Greenwich resident whose campaign took credit for feeding the story about Blumenthal's exaggerated military service to The New York Times, confirmed that the Republican was invited to and plans to attend the service at Indian Harbor Yacht Club.

Earlier, Greenwich's chief elected official had openly questioned the choice of Blumenthal to speak.

"I think it's inappropriate for a political candidate to be the keynote speaker," First Selectman Peter Tesei said. "I just think it takes away from the meaning of the day." A Republican who is backing McMahon's candidacy, Tesei said he wasn't singling out Blumenthal because of the recent controversy or because the state attorney general is a Democrat.

"Given that Memorial Day is a solemn occasion, any invited speaker should be devoid of being a candidate for office," Tesei said. "I'm not saying they cannot attend." When it was pointed out to him that then-U.S. Rep. Christopher Shays, R-Conn., was the guest speaker two years ago and was running for re-election, Tesei, who did not complain at the time, said his views applied to Republican candidates as well.

"So if Shays was endorsed for re-election at that point, again, I think it would be best if they were nonpartisan," Tesei said. "I think it would be best not to have someone perceived to be using it for political purposes."

A message seeking comment was left for Christopher Hughes, a retired Marine corporal and organizer of the American Legion event.

In an interview last week with the Advocate's sister newspaper, Greenwich Time, Hughes said he had no reservations about the selection of Blumenthal, a Marine reservist who was quoted multiple times claiming to have served in Vietnam but received five deferments that allowed him to avoid combat.

"We stand behind him 100 percent," Hughes said last week.

Blumenthal was a guest speaker at the same event in 2006.

Pat Battinelli, chairman of Stamford's Patriotic and Special Events Commission, said Blumenthal "seldom misses" marching in that city's Memorial Day Parade and he had expected him to appear this year.

"But with this dirt that's going around, I don't blame him," said Battinelli, who was one of the veterans who stood behind Blumenthal last week during a press conference in West Hartford addressing the Vietnam flap. "I think he's noble for doing that. He's probably thinking ... people are going to heckle him on the road. That's not necessary. That's not the time it should be done. I give him a lot of credit." State Rep. Lile Gibbons, R-150th District, who supported Rob Simmons over McMahon at last week's state GOP convention won by McMahon, also questioned the choice of Blumenthal.

"I think, in general, to ask a candidate for a major office for what is a nonpartisan event is not the best choice," Gibbons said.

Selectman Drew Marzullo, the highest elected Democrat in Greenwich, has no qualms about Blumenthal headlining the 8 a.m. service, which traditionally includes the playing of "taps," a three-volley rifle salute and placement of a memorial wreath in the water.

"He's the sitting attorney general who has been a loud and supportive voice for the men and women who serve in the military," Marzullo said.

"As long as partisan politics or campaign rhetoric doesn't enter into Dick's speech, I'm OK with it. Memorial Day should not be about Dick or Linda. It should be about honoring heroes, period."

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/news...ith-501607.php

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote