View Single Post
Old 10-22-2003, 07:57 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

I know this is bullsht right here:
"Tiger Force was created in the fall of 1965 as a special highly trained reconnaissance unit to find the enemy and report enemy positions to U.S. air and ground forces. Its members wore special tiger-striped uniforms, they could grow beards, and could carry their own side arms. The unit?s slogan was "out guerrilla the guerrillas."

To the best of my knowlege no 101st trooper--or ANYBODY I ever knew in the Army--was authotised to grow a beard
As far as I know, TigerForde was created by Hackworth--he claims credit for it--as a the 1st/327 battalion recon unit--plain anough, most infantry batts had their recon units. All they did was recon-- the rest of the batt did the "people moving" and it sure wasnt like they describe and it sure wasnt in the Central Highlands.;
I know for a fact that the 1st/327 was in Duc Pho, Quang Ngai Pronince when I joined tem in early May (like the 5th or 6th of May 1967) I don't know exactly how long theyd been there before I got there but I9 think at least a month or 2
They werent "highly trained reconnaissance unit " they were grunts volunteered from the rest of the batt.
Most recon units wore tigers and were allowed to carry thei own sidearms-- the lrrps sure were and also SF

I don't know what to say about this, I knew people in this unit during and after Vietnamand the word just would have got around about this--it sure got around about other stuff. My guess is that they were doing a little "resume inflation" to pump up their PTSD claim

wish I could comment longer but I'm in a rush

lov
James