View Single Post
Old 07-27-2009, 12:33 PM

Default Medicare Controls Health Care for Elderly

Several years ago my husband underwent a major life saving surgery at Vanderbilt Medical Center in Nashville, Tennessee. He has a long history of heart problems including 2 bypass surgeries, implanted cardioverter device (ICD) congestive heart failure etc. After his last bypass he was told there was a 98% blockage of his left main coronary artery, but at that time it was too risky to attempt. Several years later, medical science had progress to the point that the opening of this artery that makes a 90 degree turn at the center of the 98% blockage could be tried.
We were informed that his surgery was called the "Widow Maker" and the surgeon was open about it telling us that many do not survive it but he
thought he could do it. We argreed and it was a success that has already added about 4 years to his life. My point it, he had medical insurance through his work and with Tricare as a military retiree. However, we were told that was a good thing because if we only had medicare they would not even consider the operation. Too expensive. How sad that people live and die by the almighty dollar sign and those who believe they know best. An old saying I was taught as a child by my father was this.."When you are old remember that you were once a child and as a child remember one day you will be old too." May those who support this current legislation be reminded that they too will be old one day and their actions now will dictate THEIR medical as they age.... OK off my soap box for now... thank you for providing this forum to let me express my frustration
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote