View Single Post
Old 07-28-2003, 06:34 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

I think by now you are already at Lackland, so maybe awhile before you get to browse the internet again as often.
I loved the USAF, still do.
At Lackland, in my basic training flight, I was Right Guide (and proud of it, to carry the flag), and was also appointed Chapel Guide. During our final parade test I screwed up the whole flight by misunderstanding the difference between two extremely similar commands, which the flight (of course) had to follow me on. We lost Honor Flight because of that, but it caused me to never forget about the importance of careful listening.
My most memorable experience from Lackland was the final graduation day. All graduating flights assembled in one place for review, there were several hundred airmen in dress blues formed up. It was awesome the way the commands were given, and repeated down the echelons and then finally executed in snappy crisp manner.
If I had one wish, it would be that they could have trained us more thoroughly with the M-1 carbine. In those days they didn't, but probably do so now with the new rifles.
You'll get some good-natured teasing the rest of your natural life for being an airman... from Jarheads, Grunts and Swabbies. I'm sure you'll think of something to offer as a come-back.
Off you go into the wild blue yonder...
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote