View Single Post
Old 12-17-2002, 10:03 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post Skin to Skin

Skin to Skin,

Back in the mid-seventies I did mountain rescue and mountain climbing for recreation. When you are climbing 30- tempatures plus the wind chill factor you educate yourself well about hypothermia and frostbite. Aspirin works well for keeping the blood thinned down and that is what we would use.

We had a team up on Mount Rainier that went to rescue some climbers caught in a winter storm (weather kills more people than accidents on Rainier). When they found the three climbers they found they were all suffering from hypothermia. They immediately set up a tent and got them into sleeping bags to warm them up, made some warm soup for them and tried to feed them some high nutrient foods for energy. There was a young woman in the group, and she was in really bad shape. They tried to strip her down to her under clothes and have one the men from the rescue team strip down and crawl in bed with her. She had enough senses she wouldn't let them because she thought they were taking advantage of her. So they tucked her in a good dry sleeping back and got the tent warmed up. Sometime during the night she died. The leader of the team really suffered for many years from the what ifs. We should have forced her to it, it would have saved her life He was really angry with himself many years later when I talked to him. I was not on the rescue but it really bothered him a lot. He blamed himself for her death.

Keith
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote