The Patriot Files Forums

The Patriot Files Forums (http://www.patriotfiles.com/forum/index.php)
-   Vietnam (http://www.patriotfiles.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Lam Son 719 (http://www.patriotfiles.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33025)

DMZ-LT 01-30-2004 05:23 AM

Lam Son 719

Just read , on the site , that Lam Son 719 started today 33 years ago. I was there. Sure don't seem like 33 years ago. I was there last night

39mto39g 01-30-2004 05:27 AM

LT

Both sides paid dearly, sept, they payed more.

Ron

catman 01-30-2004 06:31 AM

Easy now John. Sid is out of town and can not run interference for you and I would hate to drive to Atlanta and post bail. I would but would not be a fun trip.

Now take the following pledge: "I promise to behave and have not more than 10 cocktails at one sitting. I further promise to not do any fire walking from this day forward anymore!"

Take care brother and try not to think too much.

Trav

DMZ-LT 01-30-2004 07:03 AM

Not to worry Trav , I am there often and the guys watch me pretty close around fires now. We stayed out till early April 71 and I came back with just three of the guys that I started out with today on Lam Son 719. A place called the Punch Bowl was well named. More worried about keeping that baby tomorrow. Peace

DMZ-LT 01-30-2004 07:57 AM

I just emailed Tiny this information. Tiny was in LamSon 719 to and lost both legs to an RPG. He wrote back and reminded me we should be gratefull for everyday since that day 33 years ago and hug our grandbabies more. I am and I will. Peace

Andy 01-30-2004 10:42 AM

Lt

Your anniversary - sorry bout that. From today thru Feb. 16th, don't remember any good days, not during Tet I. Hang in there dude, we'll talk soon enough.

Just got your book in the mail. Thank you a 1,000 times. My wife's copy machine is really going to work out doing the maps and drawings. Seeing a diagram of a Mech clover leaf sent a chill thru me and I don't know why? After a quick flip through it was annoying not to find a couple of Mech battles we were involved in but that's ok. Also didn't realized our Brigade was facing 16,000 charlies in mid-68. Glad I didn't know that, it's a somewhat frightening idea!

John could you answer a question? In Mech Infantry we called our vehicles APC's or more commonly Tracks. You guys called them ACAV's. Is the only difference the mounted 60's on either side with the shields? Or did you guys have more mojo going on?

One of my neighbor's is from Poland, however he learned enough English to be an RA and served with the 2/34th Armor. I'll show him this book (won't let him take possession of it but I will show it to him). Then he will break out a bottle of Wisniowka from the old country - That's Polish firewater, tastes like cherry wine but it's 100%. Thanks again!

Stay healthy,
Andy

DMZ-LT 01-30-2004 11:19 AM

Hey Andy , glad you got the book. A Cavalry Platoon had 6 ACAVS , 3 Sheridans (152mm main gun ) and a 4.2 mortar track. We be bad. We called the ACAVS tracks. They were just juiced up APCs - two mounted 60's on the sides with gunshields the 50 on top had a gun shield and there was extra armor under the front. Hardly ever had more than 1 Sheridan in the bush cause they broke down so often , but that main guy was wonderful. Saw the main gun turn a guy into a pink mist one day. Hope to see you again soon. One armed Sally is asking when you'll be back to. :re: :D :a:

waynechalker 02-04-2004 04:08 AM

I read with interest your discussion about Lam Son 719. Years ago, I received a copy of our company's history (585th TC) from the Army and mention was made about the 585th's participation. The Army said 33 Bronze Stars were awarded to members of our company in support of you guys. Nothing else was said. Can any of you give me a quick history lesson about that battle. WC

DMZ-LT 02-04-2004 05:10 AM

Wayne , Lam Son 719 came from 1971 and RT 9. We ran down RT. 9 to the border of Laos. ARVN then went through us into Laos to cut the trail. Within two weeks or so they got their a$$ kicked and became a mob running out of Laos. We became a rear guard against NVA divisions , with tanks and big mortars. Truck resupply along RT 9 was critical. They ambushed the $hit out of you guys. If a truck got hit they just pushed it off the side of the road. I could not have done what Doc Fred did or you either. Thanks for the bullets. Welcome Home again !

waynechalker 02-04-2004 08:44 AM

LT, Thanks for the mini history lesson. When time allows, I will persue some indepth historical matter on what you guys did. By far, we were a ton (no pun intended) safer riding in those trucks then you humping the boonies.

WC