The Patriot Files Forums

The Patriot Files Forums (http://www.patriotfiles.com/forum/index.php)
-   Vietnam (http://www.patriotfiles.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   A Poem For All of My Vietnam Veteran Brothers and Sisters This Christmas Season: (http://www.patriotfiles.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41366)

VIETNAM 1968 12-22-2005 11:10 AM

A Poem For All of My Vietnam Veteran Brothers and Sisters This Christmas Season:

I received the following Christmas Poem from a very good friend of mine. After reading it over I wanted to share it with all of my Vietnam Veteran Brothers and Sisters during this Christmas Season. I hope that you all enjoy it as much as I did.

A DIFFERENT CHRISTMAS POEM
Author Unknown

"The embers glowed softly, and in their dim light,
I gazed round the room and cherished the sight

My Wife was asleep, her head on my chest,
My Daughter beside me, angelic in rest.

Outside the snow fell creating a blanket of white,
Transforming the yard into a winter delight.

The sparkling lights in a tree, I believe,
Completed the magic that was Christmas Eve."

My eyelids were heavy and my breathing was deep,
Secure and surrounded by Love I would sleep.

In perfect contentment, or so it would seem,
I slumbered and perhaps started to dream.

The sound was't loud and it was not too near,
But I opened my eyes when it tickled my ear.

Perhaps just a cough I don't quite know,
Then the sound of footsteps outside in the snow.

My soul gave a tremble and I struggled to hear,
And I crept to the door just to see who was near.

Standing out in the cold and the dark of night,
A lone figure stood with his face weary and tight.

A soldier I puzzled some twenty years old,
Perhaps a Marine huddled there in the cold.

Alone in the dark he looked up and smiled,
Standing watch over me my wife and my child.

What are you doing? I asked without fear,
Come in this moment--it's freezing out here.

Put down your pack and brush the snow from your sleeve,
You should be at home on this cold Christmas Eve.

For barely a moment I saw his eyes shift,
Away from the cold and snow blowing in drifts.

To the window that danced with a warm fire's light,
Then he sighed and said It really is all right,
I am out here by choice and I am here every night .

Ti's my duty to stand at the front of the line,
That separates you from the darkest of time.

No one had to ask or beg me,
I am proud to stand here like my fathers did before me.

My Gramps died at Peral on that day in December,
That's a Christmas Gram always will remember.

My dad stood his watch in the jungles of Nam,
Now it is my turn and so here I am.

I have not seen my own son in more than a while,
But my wife sends me pictures. He sure has her smile.

Then he bent and he carefully pulled from his bag,
The Red White and Blue--An American Flag.

I can live through the cold and the being alone,
Away from my family, my house and my home.

I can stand at my post through the rain and the sleet,
And I can sleep in a foxhole with little to eat.

I can carry the weight of killing another,
or lay down my life for a sisters or a brother.

Who stands at the front against any and all,
Just to ensure for all time that this flag will not fall.

So go back inside he said and harbor no fright,
Your family is waiting and I'll be all right.

But isn't there something I can do at least,
Give you some money or perhaps a feast?

It seems all too little for all that you have done,
Being away from your wife and your young son.

Then his eyes welled a tear that held no regret,
Just tell us you love us and never forget.

To fight for our rights back at home while we are gone,
To stand your own watch. No matter how long.

For when we come home, either standing or dead,
To know you remember that we fought and we bled.

Is payment enough and with that we will trust,
That we mattered to you as you mattered to us."

I hope that you all enjoyed this poem and the spirit that it was sent along. I also want to take a moment or two to wish everyone a huge MERRY CHRISTMAS and THE HAPPIEST OF NEW YEAR. I will look forward to another year of enjoyment on this Patriot Files. You all have been there for me, when I needed someone to help me keep my own demons of Vietnam off of my back. You all really are my BROTHERS and SISTERS. May God Bless all of you.

As always: WELCOME HOME

VIETNAM 1968

Old Seabee 12-22-2005 12:32 PM

Nam 68....thank you, and a Merry Christmas to and yours.

DMZ-LT 12-22-2005 07:54 PM

Welcome Home Brother ! Did I tell you I was an Opa ?

b3196 12-23-2005 04:18 AM

Thanks 68.... Merry Christmas and welcome home
Bob K

Bill Farnie 12-23-2005 05:06 AM

Merry Christmas brother

Robert J Ryan 12-23-2005 09:13 AM

there is another version of this poem. The other version states that Great Grandpa drove the Kaiser back to Berlin, Grandpa died at Pearl Harbor in December, a Christmas Gram will always remember, My uncled landed at Inchon and fought his way to Soul, my father fought in the jungles of Vietnam to keep his soul, my older brother drove Sadam from Kawait, now its my turn so here I am.

MANOFCALLING 12-23-2005 02:26 PM

that poem was great....hadnt heard that one before....I hope you enjoy this one from my new book of poetry "A Dream of Christmas" available on www.lulu.com

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN-LEFT: 0.5in"><B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal"><I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; mso-bidi-font-size: 10.0pt">A Dream of Christmas<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p></SPAN>[/i][/b]
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN-LEFT: 0.5in"><o:p></o:p>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN-LEFT: 0.5in"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; mso-bidi-font-size: 10.0pt">I had kindled the hearth to warm my toes and started some Hickory brew<o:p></o:p></SPAN>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN-LEFT: 0.5in"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; mso-bidi-font-size: 10.0pt">To heat up my insides as well, as another December day was through.<o:p></o:p></SPAN>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN-LEFT: 0.5in"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; mso-bidi-font-size: 10.0pt">And breathing in that wholesome scent, I closed my worn eyes tight<o:p></o:p></SPAN>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN-LEFT: 0.5in"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; mso-bidi-font-size: 10.0pt">Resolved that I might dream a bit that cold and snowy night.<o:p></o:p></SPAN>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN-LEFT: 0.5in"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; mso-bidi-font-size: 10.0pt"><o:p></o:p></SPAN>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN-LEFT: 0.5in"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; mso-bidi-font-size: 10.0pt">In the almost formless shadows, the quiet cabin came alive.<o:p></o:p></SPAN>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN-LEFT: 0.5in"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; mso-bidi-font-size: 10.0pt">Whispering messengers delivered me gifts as the clock struck Ten-and-Five:<o:p></o:p></SPAN>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN-LEFT: 0.5in"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; mso-bidi-font-size: 10.0pt">The crackle of the fire, the creaking of the floor,<o:p></o:p></SPAN>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN-LEFT: 0.5in"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; mso-bidi-font-size: 10.0pt">The childlike wintry whining of the wind beneath the door.<o:p></o:p></SPAN>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN-LEFT: 0.5in"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; mso-bidi-font-size: 10.0pt"><o:p></o:p></SPAN>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN-LEFT: 0.5in"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; mso-bidi-font-size: 10.0pt">Like an echo ever-coming, sounds bounced from every cob:<o:p></o:p></SPAN>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN-LEFT: 0.5in"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; mso-bidi-font-size: 10.0pt">From the eaves to the boards to my ivory doorknob.<o:p></o:p></SPAN>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN-LEFT: 0.5in"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; mso-bidi-font-size: 10.0pt">And then in fright and worry I spun around in place<o:p></o:p></SPAN>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN-LEFT: 0.5in"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; mso-bidi-font-size: 10.0pt">And there before my ornate mantle crept the shadow of a face.<o:p></o:p></SPAN>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN-LEFT: 0.5in"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; mso-bidi-font-size: 10.0pt">The shadow bore a beard that stretched almost from sight.<o:p></o:p></SPAN>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN-LEFT: 0.5in"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; mso-bidi-font-size: 10.0pt">It flickered and it quivered in the muted candlelight.<o:p></o:p></SPAN>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN-LEFT: 0.5in"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; mso-bidi-font-size: 10.0pt">It seemed to hold immense respect for whom it reflect<o:p></o:p></SPAN>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN-LEFT: 0.5in"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; mso-bidi-font-size: 10.0pt">And in that moment it was enough just to stay circumspect.<o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN-LEFT: 0.5in"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; mso-bidi-font-size: 10.0pt">But as my nerves were calming enough to clearly think<o:p></o:p></SPAN>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN-LEFT: 0.5in"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; mso-bidi-font-size: 10.0pt">The most surprising, brilliant light forced my eyes to blink.<o:p></o:p></SPAN>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN-LEFT: 0.5in"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; mso-bidi-font-size: 10.0pt">There when I reopened them in beauty that made me gape<o:p></o:p></SPAN>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN-LEFT: 0.5in"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; mso-bidi-font-size: 10.0pt">Were glistening elven sprites about and Santa donned in velvet cape.<o:p></o:p></SPAN>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN-LEFT: 0.5in"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; mso-bidi-font-size: 10.0pt">Lo! It was the grandest thing to watch that cheerful pack<o:p></o:p></SPAN>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN-LEFT: 0.5in"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; mso-bidi-font-size: 10.0pt">Race to lace the finest ruby ribbons round my tree and back.<o:p></o:p></SPAN>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN-LEFT: 0.5in"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; mso-bidi-font-size: 10.0pt">From Santa?s sleeves red ringing bells shot out like from a gun<o:p></o:p></SPAN>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN-LEFT: 0.5in"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; mso-bidi-font-size: 10.0pt">Followed by green garlands and globes that filled the room as he spun.<o:p></o:p></SPAN>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN-LEFT: 0.5in"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; mso-bidi-font-size: 10.0pt">Betwixt this glorious tumult open flew my shutter doors,<o:p></o:p></SPAN>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN-LEFT: 0.5in"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; mso-bidi-font-size: 10.0pt">A gusty wind freezing cold the candles to their cores.<o:p></o:p></SPAN>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN-LEFT: 0.5in"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; mso-bidi-font-size: 10.0pt">Gone was all illumination, in black the chamber stood.<o:p></o:p></SPAN>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN-LEFT: 0.5in"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; mso-bidi-font-size: 10.0pt">I heard but recapitulation of the horn owl in the wood.<o:p></o:p></SPAN>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN-LEFT: 0.5in"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; mso-bidi-font-size: 10.0pt">Then again the hearth flames livened allowing me to see?<o:p></o:p></SPAN>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN-LEFT: 0.5in"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; mso-bidi-font-size: 10.0pt">No Christmas bells rang anywhere; no ribbons wrapped my tree.<o:p></o:p></SPAN>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN-LEFT: 0.5in"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; mso-bidi-font-size: 10.0pt">My visit from Santa Claus had been but reverie.<o:p></o:p></SPAN>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN-LEFT: 0.5in"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; mso-bidi-font-size: 10.0pt">So with a smile I lay me down to again with Santa be.<o:p></o:p></SPAN>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN-LEFT: 0.5in"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; mso-bidi-font-size: 10.0pt">__________________________________________ ___________</SPAN>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN-LEFT: 0.5in"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; mso-bidi-font-size: 10.0pt">Merry Christmas everyone out there, here and overseas! May God Bless you and yours and bring you everything your heart desires!</SPAN>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN-LEFT: 0.5in"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; mso-bidi-font-size: 10.0pt"></SPAN>

Jerry D 12-23-2005 08:58 PM

"Santa Borg" that is great :D