The Patriot Files Forums

The Patriot Files Forums (http://www.patriotfiles.com/forum/index.php)
-   Army (http://www.patriotfiles.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Ft Polk, La (http://www.patriotfiles.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24268)

masher51 11-29-2002 01:05 PM

Ft Polk, La

I was just wondering if there are any other Ft.Polk surviors here.
I feel that "Tigerland" itself should qualify a person for some kind
of an award for just making it through that dump ! I remember
thinking I'd rather be in Vietnam than Ft.Polk.
Oh well .....

"There It Is"
masher :cl:

SEATJERKER 11-29-2002 03:06 PM

Bob should be...

...logging on in the near future, a guy I met locally, and is 1st Cav, 68-69 I believe...

...mentioned he was at Polk, being in that area then, sumtin' about Dix also...

...make him welcome in the near future...

...Anyone that makes it out of La. alive, well, you know.......

janecallanan 11-29-2002 03:45 PM

My brother was in Ft. Polk, La , looks from medical records to be Dec. 1967-Feb. 1968. he graduated from 1st Cav in Nam, cum laude, on 19 April 1968, and now holds one of the guardposts at the pearly gates. Have been looking, looking, looking for 20+ years for guys who knew him. Let me know if anything shows up, would you?

Wazza 11-29-2002 04:24 PM

Good luck Jane I hope you find what you need to soothe your troubled soul.

My thoughts and prayers are with you in this journey.

Stick 11-29-2002 06:42 PM

The place is Fort Puke, Lousyanna as I remember it. Where I took AIT in early '66 but was in Admin. not Tigerland except for once. As I remember it it was set up as a mock VN vil but not a place I woulda wanted to stay. Thinking about Tigerland just a short period later while in VN it really was pretty close to being accurate. What I do remember about Ft. Puke was the bus trips to Leesville, Shreveport and down to Nawleens for Fat Tuesday and the weekend before it. Canal Street and Bourbon Street. Went down there with a troop, Private Delacerta, who had a brother that owned a liqour store just two blocks off Bourbon Street and my best friend at the time and the GodFather of my first Daughter, Private Wilhelm. Don't remember much about that weekend because of heavy drinken and all at no cost because of big brother. One thing that I do remember is how well Nawleens knows how to party. Had to sneak back on post two hours AWOL from a three day pass but wasn't caught and it was well worth it if we were. Delacerta hopped off the bus in BatonRouge and bough a car cash off the lot and drove it back to post. The drinken helped me forget Fort Puke but there are some characters you never forget.

masher51 11-29-2002 08:10 PM

Very Sorry

Jane if I understand correctly,your brother was taken on April 19th which is my birthday.I was 18 then & didn't know what
lay ahead.All I know is I feel your lost as I do for every nam
brother & sister who paid the ultimate sacrifice for our country.
I sincerely pray that you are able to contact someone who
knew him.
Littlejohn ,you brought back memories that have lain dormant
all these years and I do well remember them. I swear I never
was in a place in my life as was Louseyanna !!
Thanks for the response
Feelin kinda low
masher :(

mikey30919 03-11-2003 06:30 AM

Fort Polk

My favorite ride there was the rope bridge over the pond, no matter what you were going in the pond at least once before you made it across. Diseaseville always rocked on the week ends, Vietnam Village was an eye opener. Best part of Fort Polk was the bus ride to the airport when you graduated and left. I went from the warm south to a snowstorm at Fort Lewis. Army always was good for change.

billwhit1357 09-30-2009 06:34 AM

I was first at Polk in June '68 but only made it to the Reception Station. Then they found out I was only 16 years old and I had to wait about a month for a Minority Discharge. I became the personal runner for a SFC Sallee, tall slim guy, and a SSG Cole, a black guy. Never forget them! Mean as hell to everyone else, but when they found out I was only 16 and going home, they treated me like family. Great Guys! One year later, my mother signed for me to go in and I was once again at Ft Polk in June 1969. Both SFC Sallee and SSG Cole were still there and remembered me. Still great guys but jumped my ass for rejoining! Was in Delta 3-1, Delta Dragons!Remember the BB guns and sniper ambushes? DiseaseVille had a motel with little fans in the headboard that I liked! They were like little cabins with a bathroom in between. My folks on one side and my girlfriend, sister, and I on the other. Needless to say, my little sister spent most of the night taking a shower! :-)

MORTARDUDE 10-01-2009 11:19 AM

I was at Tigerland from about Aug 26, 1969 - Oct 26, 1969...then on to Vietnam on my 21st birthday !!!

formergrunt70 10-26-2009 04:19 PM

Mortardude
We were there about the same time in 69. Maybe it was late September. Hell! I don't remember. All I know is I was in D-4-5 My Senior Drill was SFC Crane fell under the "RIF"
program, and think He was A Captain in Nam in 1968. My Company Commander was Capt.
James Sprayberry (MOH recepient) 1st CAV. I hated that place. Served turkey dinner one week-end, and after being lost for hours the chow truck finally arrived with either spoiled dressing or the gravy. About 30 of Us ended up with food poisoning. Couldn't wait
to get out of there. The dates seems right because I think I got in country late Oct to Early November. Seems like They called Tiger Land Peson ridge or something.